Monday 18 June 2012

Turkey

 

We've been going to Turkey for a large portion of my life and since my Mum moved there about three years ago we've sort of just kept going each year. I still love visiting and it feels like a second home now. Not only do I love not feeling like a tourist but the scenery, heat and friendliness of the people there just keep me going back for more.

 
 Kaftan: H&M | Wayfarer Sunglasses: Primark | Straw Woven Bag: Primark
My favourite pasttimes, eating ice-cream and sunbathing. My Mum lives in Marmaris and while it is an insanely touristy part of Turkey, living near the marina amongst the locals really makes you forget that.

 
 Spotty Bikini: ASDA

Each year we've discovered little hidden gems of places that nobody else seems to know about. This gorgeous retreat is called Mistral and is about half an hour dolmus ride to a village called Hisaronu. The pool is salt water and looks out over the sea and a mini marina.

 

Mistral is pricier than your average Turkish restaurant and when I say pricey I mean it's about the same as a restaurant in England. 
One of our favourite places to eat in Marmaris is opposite my Mum's apartment. We've coined it the workman's caff on account of the local boys who use it to refuel before heading off to work in the nearby bars and bazaar. It's the very epitome of cheap and cheerful. Our choice dish is the Iskendar kabab which is a long plate of lamb doner on a bed of sticky rice and bread with a tomato sauce at one end and tangy natural yogurt at the other. It's a 'get stuck in' dish. 
Mistral is quite different as you can see from my lemon cream salmon spaghetti. I mean look at it, it has grass decor! Not very Turkish but definitely delicious.


I'm both ashamed and proud to admit a lot of my holiday snaps are of either: food or: me looking excited about eating food. See below.

 
 Tropical Bandeau Top: H&M | Chunky Gold Necklace: H&M
 Under Water Reef Print Dress: Primark  
If you do visit Marmaris and want to go for a really nice meal out I would recommend Caria restaurant by the marina. Their speciality is steak and you can get a really good quality (delicious) fillet steak for around about £10-15. It's another one of the slightly classier restaurants along the sea front, you can tell because you don't get any hassle from either of the very dapper looking twins who wait the tables there.

  
Floral Dress: Primark | Skull Necklace: Topshop | Lipstick: Infrared by Topshop
I'm not sure why I look so sad here perhaps this is the face I make when readying myself to clear a plate. Yep, that's probably it. I love the dress I have on here, I found it in Primark a few years ago and it's perfect for holidays.
   
 

The cakes in a Turkish pattisserie are something to behold! I took this right before my friends bought about 3 kilos of baklava to take home with them.
 
 

Look at that face. That's pure happiness. That day we spent throwing coins over our shoulder and diving to find them before anyone else.


This is me doing my best 'Rihanna on Instagram' impression. We had a mint waterpipe to go with pina coladas.
 
 Floral Top: Primark | Gold Chain Necklace: Primark
It would seem I didn't want James in my picture.


The rest of the snaps are from years gone by but give you an idea of why I love Turkey. Plus they show a little more than just me stuffing my face. Oh wait, I spoke too soon.

Kebabs all round.
Exploring the old back streets by the castle.
Getting dirty at the mudbaths.
One of the hundreds of shops in the bazaar.
Scruff chilling out on the deck of Idefix.
I can't even remember where this is but look how pretty!
Shoe shine, anyone?
The ancient library in Ephesus.
Beautiful handmade pottery.
Water babies.
Sunset in Aktas.
Me commandeering True Love.
Market Day.
Clever ladies hard at work at their looms.
True Love's deck where we spent a blissful two days for my 22nd last year.
Marmaris at sunset aboard True Love.

2 comments:

  1. Hi darling

    What lovely memories and 'photos - and everyone looks so happy!!!!!!!!!! Will have to find more places to take you when you come again.

    Love you tons xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photographs looks like you had such a wonderful time!
    dimplesdiaries
    x

    ReplyDelete